Writer’s block is debilitating. No inspiration can be found anywhere. It may last for days or weeks.
That is one definition.
Then again, Steve Martin says:
“Writer’s block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol.”
Ok, Steve. I thought that tickled my ribs a bit.
Whether or not it is real, there must be an explanation for those lackluster days when you are staring at a blinking pointer on the screen.
I believe it exists.
Sometimes our brain and energies get overtaxed. We may suffer from fatigue and other physical ailments. Or, we are just stuck.
At some point, I know I will go through this crippling condition. Here are some ways I hope to punch it in the face:
- Walk away from the material.
- Eat ice-cream. Why not?
- Watch Turner Classic Movies. Those relax me all the time.
- Do some form of physical activity.
- Socialize with friends and family.
- Read a book. This might inspire me.
- Reach out to my writing groups.
- Just be still.
How do you handle writer’s block?